Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Great Reconciliation

Today's adventure began with a jaunt along beautiful canopied North Florida and South Georgia roads. My destination was a beautiful plantation, that is quite the favored venue for southern brides.

The long drive offered the gift of time, uninterrupted time to deepen the thoughts that had filled my inner sanctum before hopping in the car.

Actually, as I sped out of the city limits and into the sunny countryside, I was smack dab in the heart of an uncomfortable spot. I'm sure you've been in those sort of spots, too.

This "spot of great discomfort" has been happening more and more recently.

Without knowing what else to do, I opened my mouth and broke the silence of the space.

"God, how can I reconcile the great difference between the God of the Old Testament and the God that I worship, the God of AMAZING LOVE?"

Just by asking the question in this space of relative quietness, and by willing to listen, the Almighty shared  beautiful insights with me that erased the feelings of discomfort and filled me with such a sense of awe.

I wish that I could have recorded this conversation of inner dialog and shared it word-for-word as it played out.

But basically the message that God gave me was that ...

That which was so disturbing from the Old Testament was reconciled with one person in one pivotal period of time that happened over 2000 years ago. Jesus Christ was and is the GREAT RECONCILIATION.

God loved his creation so much, that He sent HIS ONLY SON to come and live among us and set us free from the shackles of sin that enslaved this creation. We are reconciled to live out the true fullness of who he created us to be. 


In Ephesians 2:4-7 we read that God, being rich in mercy and because HE had such a great love for us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, loved us so very much that he raised us up and made us alive together with Jesus and that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus! WOW, what an amazing reconciliation! 

No comments: